Every time an action happens that you wish to keep track of, you send an Event to Growlytics. Events can be as easy as choosing the text string that defines them.
Every time an action happens that you wish to keep track of, you send an Event to Growlytics. Events can be as easy as choosing the text string that defines them. For example, you could send an “Play Song” event every time a user presses the Song button, which play that song.
By tracking events in your app, you can better understand what users are doing. In Growlytics, you can analyze these events in many different ways, such as getting aggregating metrics of a specific event or measuring how a specific event type trends over time. You can also engage with your users based on these events by creating campaigns in Growlytics that are triggered by them.
Growlytics auto captures all page visits, clicks and input events out of the box for you. Growlytics also gives you the power to determine what’s important to your experience. You can choose to track anything and everything.
For example, you could keep track of registration trends, most popular genres and songs, the music control buttons the users presses or even how many songs each user has listened to in each session etc.
There are two types of events in Growlytics: System Events and Custom Events.
System Events are events recorded automatically after you integrate our SDK. Custom Events are events you define and track with SDK or API.
For each event, you can keep details of that event with event properties.
For example, while tracking the “Product viewed” event, you can save event properties like product name, category, and price. Tracking event properties will help you answer questions like which category of products are more popular, and help you segment customers based on which categories or price points they’ve viewed.
Let's suppose we want to track an event "Product Viewed" when a customer views a product. To track this event with the Growlytics SDK, you can use the following code snippet.
'Product Name': 'Macbook Pro 2015',
'Timestamp': new Date()
For every event that’s recorded, Growlytics records the following standard metadata:
- Information about the session for which event was tracked. All session attributes (visit session page to get the list) will be recorded against this event.
- Information about the customer who performed the event. All the attributes in customer profile, will be recorded against this event.
- Date and time when the event was recorded in UTC and customer's timezone both.
Supported property data type are Date, Integer, Float, String and Boolean.
For each SDK, Growlytics properties based on data type of SDK's language. For each language, mapping of data type is given below.
Numberwill be mapped to
BigIntwill be mapped to
Stringwill be mapped to
Booleanwill be mapped to
Datewill be mapped to
Rest of data types will be converted to
- The maximum number of User Event types per project is 500. While the number might seem limiting, if used along side properties can help you record a lot more User Event data than it seems. The volume of events submitted per account across those event types is practically unlimited.
- For each User Event recorded, the maximum number of Event Properties is limited to 100.
- Event property keys must be of type String and property values must be scalar values, i.e. String, Boolean, Integer, Float or a Date object.
- Prohibited characters: &, $, “, \, %, >, <, !
- User Event keys are limited to 120 characters in length.
- User Event property values are limited to 512 characters in length.